Tucson (520) 327-4000|Phoenix (602) 253-1515 |Mesa (480) 745-2552 | Toll Free 855-338-8383

Deeds (Property Transfer)

Deeds (Property Transfer)

Transferring or Adding Someone to the Title of a House in Arizona

Sometimes it is desirable to add someone to the title of a house you own. Arizona offers two ways to accomplish this: a quit claim deed or a warranty deed. This article covers the difference between the two types of deeds and the process for filing them. AZ Statewide Paralegal offers professional legal document preparation services. We have decades of experience preparing and filing deeds and other legal documents in Arizona. Contact our office today so that we can walk you through the legal document preparation services we offer.

Deeds: Evidence of Ownership

A deed is a written document that provides evidence of ownership of a property (also called “legal interest in a property”) and also is used to transfer property ownership from one person or entity to another person or entity.

Quit Claim Deeds

A quit claim deed transfers your property interest to another person or legal entity. When you sign a quit claim deed, you do not make any guarantees or promises about whether someone else also has a legal interest in the property. You are merely signing over your legal interest, if any, in the property. You are the grantor (giving the interest) and the person who receives your interest is the grantee. Quit claim deeds are sometimes mistakenly called “quick” claim deeds.

Warranty Deeds

When you use a warranty deed, you are guaranteeing that no one else has any legal interest or right to the property. You are providing a promise, or warranty, that the property is free and clear. As with a quit claim deed, ownership of a property is transferred from one person to another. But by signing a warranty deed the grantor guarantees that there are no liens against the property.

Estate Planning Element of Deeds

The deed to your property specifies the type of ownership you have. For example, you may have sole ownership of the property, joint tenancy with the right of survivorship, tenancy in common, community property, community property with the right of survivorship, or a beneficiary deed. The term "right of survivorship" means that the co-owner will receive ownership of the property upon the death of the other co-owner.  "Tenants in Common" means that the ownership of the property of one co-owner will be distributed according to state law to the heirs of that party by intestate succession or by instructions provided in a last will and testament possibly through a probate proceeding.  Our certified legal document preparers think beyond the property transfer and check with you on how you want your property titled.

Exemption Codes

An Affidavit of Property Value document is required for all deeds (property transfer) of any type unless the proper Exemption Code is stated and included on your Deed. Our certified legal document preparers are proficient in each type of exemption code so you can always be assured the correct one will be noted based upon the type of property transfer.  If an exemption code does not apply, we also prepare your Affidavit of Property Value and record it for no additional fees!  
Deed Preparation Rate:
$250 does not include recording fee of $30 per document
We have handled cases like this since 1992 so you can count on our experience!